Howdy and howto get started

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Mon Jan 9 18:10:18 PST 2023

We don't really have a "fun things to do" type of document, but Its going
to be fairly similar to FreeBSD with regards to packages.   What I usually
do with a new machine just to put it through its paces:

* For ssh I recommend public key logins only (which is the default), but of
course it is up to you.

* I always like to get X up and running.   'pkg install xorg'.  If the
system booted with EFI there may be an EFI frame buffer available so also
install the 'xf86-video-scfb' package.  DragonFly uses evdev now so also
install 'xf86-input'evdev' if it isn't already.   Then your favorite window
manager.  Maybe get X logins working... I usually use the 'xdm' package for
that.

* I usually get sound working which typically just works by putting
snd_hda_load="yes" in /etc/rc.conf (kldload snd_hda manually if you don't
want to reboot).

* I usually get chromium installed.  'chromium' package.

* For shells, whatever you like.  The base system has sh, csh, and tcsh
built-in.

Beyond that it depends on what you want to do with the system.