Howdy and howto get started

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 16:56:02 PST 2023

Howdy,

I'm a new dragonflybsd user coming from FreeBSD where I have been a user
for a bit over a decade or decade and a half. I'm not bailing on them as
I still rather enjoy FreeBSD and love ZFS, but I have a new (old) pc and
want to explore new horizons. I am primarily interested in trying out
Hammer2 to see how it works compared with ZFS (functionality, not
performance).

I've downloaded the USB image, burned it to USB, booted my Optiplex 755
w/256GB SSD, installed and configured dragonfly, gotten ssh'ed into the
machine and now it looks like a partially working FreeBSD instance where
ZFS is missing :).

Is there a Getting Started Guide, or Things Beginners Should Do First,
kindof doc out there? The handbook's great, but it's more along the
lines of a reference guide.

Stuff I'd expect in such a doc:

When you first login:
Configuring SSH so folks can log in (I just turned on use password,
service restarted, ssh-copy-id'd, turned off use password, service
restarted, but maybe there's a better way)
Take a snapshot of the boot environment/root drive
Do some updates/upgrade
Install some packages
Here are some common packages for starters - bash, vim?
Blow away the snapshot if it's not needed

I appreciate any pointers and I'm totally looking forward to learning
more about Dragonfly BSD.

Later,

Will