Howdy and howto get started

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 19:54:26 PST 2023

On 1/9/23 8:10 PM, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> We don't really have a "fun things to do" type of document, but Its
> going to be fairly similar to FreeBSD with regards to packages.
Tried package search, got message: pkg: Repository Avalon missing. 'pkg
update' required, did package update, now it's saying No active remote
repositories configured... off to read the handbook :).
> What I usually do with a new machine just to put it through its paces:

This is a great starting list. Thanks!
> * For ssh I recommend public key logins only (which is the default),
> but of course it is up to you.
Done. But, I'm curious how you get the keys on the system - do you just
scp them from whatever host you want to connect from? I usually
ssh-copy-id them from the remote system, but if you can't login via
password, that doesn't work.
> * I always like to get X up and running.   'pkg install xorg'.  If the
> system booted with EFI there may be an EFI frame buffer available so
> also install the 'xf86-video-scfb' package.  DragonFly uses evdev now
> so also install 'xf86-input'evdev' if it isn't already.   Then your
> favorite window manager.  Maybe get X logins working... I usually use
> the 'xdm' package for that.
The optiplex 755 is bios only, legacy system. I've run KDE/XFCE/Cinammon
in FreeBSD on it over the last several years without any issues (it's
got a Radeon video card). I have some old TWM/FVWM notes from when I ran
OpenBSD on it... I'll dig those out and have a go at it.

> * I usually get sound working which typically just works by putting
> snd_hda_load="yes" in /etc/rc.conf (kldload snd_hda manually if you
> don't want to reboot).
The Optiplex's got a pretty standard intel onboard audio setup, a
kldload snd_hda followed by cat /dev/random > /dev/dsp resulted in a
very nice stochastic sound out of my speakers, so, score!

While adding snd_hda_load="yes" in rc.conf, I noticed a lack of sysrc on
the system (find / -name sysrc), but I see it in the online manpages,
https://www.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=sysrc&section=8, wazzup
with that?
> * I usually get chromium installed.  'chromium' package.
OK. I'll give that a shot, too.

> * For shells, whatever you like.  The base system has sh, csh, and
> tcsh built-in.

I'm good with sh most of the time, but bash has some conveniences. Once
I get packages working, this will be near the top of the list.
> Beyond that it depends on what you want to do with the system.
>
> -Matt
Thanks for the tips. This'll get me started.

Will