feature request: ifconfig(8) interface description

Antonio Huete Jimenez tuxillo at quantumachine.net
Fri Nov 12 14:21:37 PST 2021

Hi Oleg,

On 12/11/21 16:42, Oleg Ginzburg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Aaron LI's recent work on 'NVMM' virtualization seemed very
> interesting to me. I would like to port the CBSD[1] for QEMU/NVMM to
> DragonFly but ran into a lack of functionality I needed:

Great, thanks!

> # uname -a
> DragonFly srv-03.olevole.ru 6.1-DEVELOPMENT DragonFly
> v6.1.0.521.g1351cf-DEVELOPMENT #0: Wed Nov 10 10:32:56 UTC 2021
> root at srv-03.olevole.ru:/usr/obj/usr/jails/src/src_6.1.0/src/sys/X86_64_GENERIC
>   x86_64

I've created a tracking ticket where we will add sub-tasks for any
missing functionality you may need in your your porting.

https://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issues/3305

> # ifconfig vlan1 description vm1-vlan
> ifconfig: description: bad value
>
> Is there a chance the 'ifconfig NIC description XXX' functionality
> will sync with the FreeBSD ? This is a fairly popular option.

The sub-task specific for this request will be:

https://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issues/3306

We'll check and see if we can add it soon!