DragonFlyBSD / 386BSD 1.0 - modularity

Alex Burke alexjeffburke at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 05:19:24 PDT 2005

Hi,

I have been reading up allot on the history of BSD based operating
systems, and I know that Net/FreeBSDs came from 386BSD 0.1 (based
heavily on 4.3 Net/2 tape with missing files replaced) with patch kits
applied.

As I understand it, 386BSD 1.0 was the continuation of 0.1 but with
the kernel modularized. Since I have read that DragonFlyBSD aims to
eventually try to run large components (such as VFS) in user land, I
was wondering whether conceptually they are at all similar? What is
the eventual aim of DragonFlyBSD and userland services?

I realise that this might seem stupid question since the code has
changed so much (4.4BSD-Lite code integrated, VM system...etc) but I
guess this is my attempt to try to understand things better, hopefully
with the aim of one day being able to help in some form.

I also wanted to ask if anybody knew any good books about the
architecture of BSD systems that can be read by someone no already
knowledgeable about kernel design.

Thanks in advance, Alex J Burke