DragonFlyBSD / 386BSD 1.0 - modularity

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai asmodai at in-nomine.org
Mon Aug 1 06:06:41 PDT 2005

-On [20050801 14:21], Alex Burke (alexjeffburke at xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>As I understand it, 386BSD 1.0 was the continuation of 0.1 but with
>the kernel modularized. Since I have read that DragonFlyBSD aims to
>eventually try to run large components (such as VFS) in user land, I
>was wondering whether conceptually they are at all similar? What is
>the eventual aim of DragonFlyBSD and userland services?

Look more toward L4 and Mach.  That sort of microkernelish set up is the
kind of hybrid form DragonFly will add more and more.

At least, my simplistic interpretation of it.

Free Tibet! http://www.savetibet.org/ | http://ashemedai.deviantart.com/
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/
My name is Legion: for we are many...