network time server

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Mon May 1 23:49:27 PDT 2023

The last time I looked at time sources, they were basically serial
interfaces.  That was like 20 years ago though.   When I wrote dntpd I
explicitly wrote it as a client-only.  So any DFly support for being a time
server is going to be whatever support the open-source time daemons like
ntpd have and I don't think anyone here has used their non-network
time-sourcing features in ages.

I would kinda expect that modern time sources would be little GPS gadgets
that vampire off the GPS timestamps and then have an ethernet interface or
something, but I don't know what is typical these days.  Is serial still a
thing?  I don't know.