near, mid, and long term prospects of dragonfly

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 15:03:01 PST 2023

On 1/13/23 4:15 AM, Michael Neumann wrote:
> Hi Will and welcome!
>
> I am using DragonFly BSD almost since it's beginning, on all sorts of
> hardware. Even once giving a live presentation at my university about
> the HAMMER1 file system, where I was running a demo on an ASUS EEE PC
> (you know it's not very powerful), where I was mirroring the HAMMER
> filesystem in real time with my server, and students could upload
> files onto my server and that file would be mirrored to my EEE PC in
> real time and an on-screen message would pop up during my presentation
> :). Students soon realized that they can chat by naming the uploaded
> files accordingly :D :D. All with a simple `hammer mirror-stream`
> running in the background over poor WIFI.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate learning more about the background.

This here is fascinating - real time replication to an EEE? I look
forward to understanding enough about hammer to try it out - If it'll
run on pi, that might be fun, too. Either way, I'm sure I can get two
DragonFly systems going and doing their things once I get the hammer
basics down.

Off to read some more docs and stuff!

Will