How easy/hard are updates/upgrades?

Jávorszky Balázs javorszky.balazs at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 12:35:50 PST 2023

Hi,

So far I've had an extremely good experience with both the os upgrades
and the quarterly library updates. They worked flawlessly to me with two
exceptions:

- Once the nginx package was updated but the corresponding nginx-full
wasn't. I used the former and one .so lib from the latter, so the change
was breaking to me. I couldn't downgrade without further issues, so I
notified the team who fixed it very quickly. This was the only time when
something bad happened that I could "blame" on the Dragonfly team, and
it was rectified pretty soon.

- Deluge (a bittorrent client) didn't survive the python3.7 -> python3.9
(or 3.8?) transition prescribed in the upgrade. This is clearly a deluge
related problem.

There's a good guide for os upgrade. If you follow it word by word, you
shouldn't face any problem, at least this is my experience. I'm not
entirely sure about how a non-technical user would cope with it, though.

There are some packages that are compiled with "wrong" flags (ie.
php81-pecl-imagick requires ImageMagick6, I use ImageMagick6-nox, but
there's no php81-pecl-imagick-nox). Then you need to compile the package
yourself. There's a guide for that too, details are kinda messy, and
this part is not that well documented, I had to find out a lot of stuff.
Now regular package updates break these packages, so you have to lock
them (pkg lock php81-pecl-imagick), and then, after the update, unlock
them, and manually and forcefully rebuild and reinstall them. If you
have some self compiled packages, I don't think you can trust a regular
user with the package update, nor I think you can easily automate this
part.

Regards,

Balázs