near, mid, and long term prospects of dragonfly

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 16:15:10 PST 2023

Hi,

I'm definitely having fun learning Dragonfly BSD, but I just read the
linux-magazine interview with Matt Dillon from last May:

https://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/2022/258

where he said "As projects go, I think all the BSDs are aging out,
including DragonFly, but can remain relevant in this world of Linux as
long as we are able to offer installation on modern systems".

I know that the BSD's are less popular than Linux, but I don't think
FreeBSD is gonna go belly up anytime soon, or OpenBSD, or NetBSD for
that matter. As for DragonFly, another article I just read, from
yesterday, said that an effort is underway to port Hammer2 to NetBSD:

https://www.phoronix.com/news/NetBSD-HAMMER2-Port

I admit to being a little confused...  so, before I jump down the rabbit
hole and go further trying to learn about DragonFly BSD and how it does
things, I've got a few questions for y'all and would appreciate hearing
your opinions:

* Do you see dragonfly bsd as a going concern (or did I miss a defunct
notice somewhere)?
* Do you see it continuing to be actively developed and maintained in
the mid (3-5 year) term future?
* Do you see it continuing to be actively developed and maintained in
the long (5-10 year) term future?
* Or what?

Thanks,

Will