recovering a system

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 07:17:47 PST 2023

Hi again,

Please take this in the spirit it's given (constructive suggestion, no
offense meant, y'all know better than I why what you're doing works,
y'all think forums suck, etc)... Y'all might think about hosting a forum
where it's much easier to find threads pertaining to problems. The
mailing list archives are semi-searchable, but looking through reams of
threads is a bit more challenging than looking through forums posts
where you can quickly scan through threads.

My system is currently hosed as noted in my radeon post. Basically, I
knowingly edited loader.conf into despondency and now I get panics in
all of the available boot modes from the boot menu.

However, I can boot with the USB. So, I booted to usb via ramdisk (r)
and got a prompt. Where, for all of my prior-bsd knowledge, I'm at a
loss as to how to:

1. Find the root filesystem - gpt show da0 just lists raw partition info?
2. Mount the root filesystem (r/w, of course)

I figure if I can get the filesystem mounted (r/w), I can vi
/myroot/boot/loader.conf and unbork the system.

I'm sure it has something to do with my choosing hammer as my fs, since
I remember the running system showing those filesystems with df... but
when I run hammer list from the ramfs, it only shows hammer: uuids file
does not have the DragonFly Hammer filesystem type.

hep :)

Will