How to mask the PCI bus/slot/functions of the passed through devices on the DFLY

Mario Marietto marietto2008 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 09:31:11 PST 2021

How to mask the PCI bus/slot/functions of the passed through devices on the
DFLY

Hello to everyone.

I have installed dragonflybsd 6.1 development version phisycally on my PC
using the Hammer2 fs,using the commands below :

cd /usr

rm -rf src

git clone git://git.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git src

make buildworld

make buildkernel

make installkernel

make installworld

make upgrade

Rebooted

pkg update

pkg upgrade

What I would like to do is to test how good is the passthrough of my nvidia
graphic card inside a Linux VM using qemu and NVMM on the DFLY. First of
all,I've added :

"i915_load="YES"

to /etc/rc.conf

because the graphic card that I use on the host os is the UHD Graphics
630,as u can see below :

vgapci1 at pci0:0:2:0: class=0x030000 card=0xd0001458 chip=0x3e988086 rev=0x02
hdr=0x00

vendor = 'Intel Corporation'

device = 'CoffeeLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630]'

class = display subclass = VGA

But I have another GPU,but I want to use it as secondary,since I want to
try to pass through it with Qemu. it is the GeForce RTX 2080Ti that u can
see below :

vgapci0 at pci0:2:0:0: class=0x030000 card=0x250319da chip=0x1e0410de rev=0xa1
hdr=0x00

vendor = 'NVIDIA Corporation'

device = 'TU102 [GeForce RTX 2080 Ti]'

class = display subclass = VGA

If you want to see all the hardware specifications of my PC,you can give a
look here :

https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/PQRYbCh7Wr/

Now,I didn't find any good informations about the passthrough of the
devices on the DFLY howTos. Since it is a BSD derived os,I supposed that
the developers had implemented the masking of the PCI device at
bus/slot/functions,adding a parameter like that below inside the file
/boot/loader.conf ;

pptdevs="2/0/0 2/0/1 2/0/2 2/0/3"

but it didn't work. So,what's the correct method to do that ? thanks.

--
Mario.