Installing to a GPT partition

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 15:50:17 PDT 2020

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 07:46:47 +0800, you wrote:

>PFSes were created for the HAMMER1 installation and have been deprecated for sometime.
>
>If one really needs PFSes, they can always create one later manually.
>
>>I assume the separate /boot partition is still required when booting
>>via UEFI, or is that a relic of the past?
>
>A separate UFS /boot is still in the default setup and is recommended.  Last time I tried HAMMER2 /boot but it didn't work.  It was quite some time ago, and I'll give it another trial.
>
>>And to be clear, there is no need to format the swap partition?
>
>Yeah, no need to.

Thanks, with this and some pondering over an issue in the gpt(8) man
page I got it installed.

Not that it matters for my personal system, but if this was being done
on a more public system what is the way to deal with the ability to
login as installer with no password (and the message about logging in
as either installer or root at the end of the boot process).  Just
give installer a password, remove it, or is there a preferred way of
dealing with both the account and message?

As for the gpt(8) man page, the example provided makes it seem (by a
lack of stating otherwise) that any partition can be done as a
fileystem of type hammer2.  Yet hammer2 (or at least mount_hammer2)
appears to have some assumptions about whether the partition is BOOT /
ROOT / DATA that impacts on the ability of mount_hammer2 to mount
whatever partition is created.

I had initially done da0s8b as the hammer2 partition (with a as the
boot/ufs paritition), but mount_hammer2 did not like that and instead
of forcing it and perhaps causing future problems I went back and
changed it to be da0s8d which made everything happy.