DragonFlyBSD Project Update - colo upgrade, future trends

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 16:58:25 PDT 2019

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 16:25:52 +0200, you wrote:

>Gerald Henriksen wrote in <4oh0keh5094i2g324gqteaj976podia574 at 4ax.com>:
> |If DragonFly is to continue on as a viable project it needs to attract
> |new participants who are not just willing to help with running a mail
> |server, but with actually contributing to the project by porting
> |software - whether it be just getting packages working, creating new
> |packages, or getting things like Bluetooth and Nvidia working on
> |Dragonfly.
> |
> |Regardless of what we all think, email is dead to the newer generation
> |of developers and a requirement to use an email list to join DragonFly
> |merely ensures that any younger developers looking for an opensource
> |opportunity look elsewhere.
>
>Well, they use it when they want to go Linux.  Why should they
>fail to use it when going DragonFly?  That does not sound logical.

At least one Linux distribution has discussed the idea of moving, for
the same reason - the difficulty of attracting new contributors given
the disdain for email from the younger generation.

And similar to here, pushback from the existing community has made it
unlikely - with of course the problem that they aren't solving the
getting new contributors problem that plagues most opensource
projects.

>I think it is a mess!

I'm happy with email, and while I don't have the aversion to web based
solutions I had in the past - I merely find them tolerable - I am also
not in the position of attempting to attract new blood into a project.