DragonFlyBSD Project Update - colo upgrade, future trends

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Tue Jul 30 07:25:52 PDT 2019

Gerald Henriksen wrote in <4oh0keh5094i2g324gqteaj976podia574 at 4ax.com>:
 |I note that no one is stepping up to take over the task of trying to
 |deal with the mailing lists.

AlpineLinux recently switched over to that new sr.ht, fwiw.

 |But more importantly, while all these suggestions on how to deal with
 |spam and other issues are interesting and informative they are all
 |ignoring the main point of the email.

At the moment i only use sleeping hangs, not even grey listing,
but i am thinking of adding postgrey.  (I use DNS blacklists.)
On top of that i have bogofilter with a DB that has grown for
several years now, and what gets through, that is less than half
a dozen mails per mail (about one percent of all the traffic, i'd
say).  (I wrote a LMDB backend for bogofilter (devel branch),
which is very, very fast, and scans 100 mails in a second, here.
And that "here" is an i5 with 3600 bogomips, to talk Linux.)

 |If DragonFly is to continue on as a viable project it needs to attract
 |new participants who are not just willing to help with running a mail
 |server, but with actually contributing to the project by porting
 |software - whether it be just getting packages working, creating new
 |packages, or getting things like Bluetooth and Nvidia working on
 |Dragonfly.
 |
 |Regardless of what we all think, email is dead to the newer generation
 |of developers and a requirement to use an email list to join DragonFly
 |merely ensures that any younger developers looking for an opensource
 |opportunity look elsewhere.

Well, they use it when they want to go Linux.  Why should they
fail to use it when going DragonFly?  That does not sound logical.

 |And the reality is there are lots of other opportunties - the problem
 |isn't just Linux but even Microsoft is now a welcoming opensource
 |place for many things (they have many opensource projects that welcome
 |outside contributions, including even now a proper terminal, and none
 |require joining a mailing list - they are even shortly including
 |Python with Windows, set up so that typing python at a command line
 |will automatically take the user to the Windows Store to prompt the
 |user to install it if necessary).
 |
 |While not related to opensource, Apple provides a good example of the
 |death of email and the shift to the web.  For a long time Apple

Interestingly, for the first time, and i-do-not-know-why-i-looked
(i usually do not, really), there were Apple IPs seen looking, and
one downloading my mailx clone.  I do not know what it means, but
they were there.  (I think it is possibly too early, i am far from
where i want to be; it is working fine, on the other hand.  This
will take more time.)

 |operated several mailing lists for developers of software that runs on
 |macOS and a couple of years ago Apple announced that they would be
 |shutting down the mailing lists and that everyone should move to the
 |webforums.  There was much angst and wailing, and when Apple didn't
 |reconsider equivalent mailing lists were set up on groups.io.  Those
 |mailing lists are dead with no one posting to them.  Everyone moved to
 |the web and continued on with life because email wasn't as essential
 |as they all claimed.

I think it is a mess!  Searching does not really work, let alone
easy, you have to sit in that mess that browsers are, (try using
one via lynx).  I for one almost never find anything.  How do you
archive such things?  Can anyone imagine that by 2040 there will
be anyone providing an indexed and searchable archive of forums,
the way we can today look at interesting discussions that happened
to happen via mail?  I do not think so.

It all reappears as time goes by.  And who thinks something is
uncool maybe thinks the opposite tomorrow.  If you continue to do
your thing, and do good, eventually people come by and stay with
it.  Otherwise not.  I installed DragonFly 5.6.1 last week and it
was a neat experience.  That is pretty great given that it is an
entire operating system and the number of people currently working
at it.  I hope that diversity remains.

 --End of <4oh0keh5094i2g324gqteaj976podia574 at 4ax.com>

--steffen