Wired memory analysis

Daniel Bilik ddb at neosystem.org
Thu Jan 17 22:46:55 PST 2019

Hi, Matt.

Thank you very much for your response and detailed instructions on where
to look. I've just booted the system and I'll be observing it for next
couple of hours. I'll report results then.

Just to add more details about the system... It has 511M of swap space
configured. I run two separate chrome instances there, the way described
in your nice "RunSecureBrowser" guide. I don't let much tabs opened,
there 2-5 tabs in each chrome most of the time. According to VSZ and RSS
numbers shown by "ps axl", chrome sure uses most of the memory, but none of
its subprocess seems to be consuming abnormally more then others, and all
of them really should fit into 8G of RAM.

Just during writing this mail, wired memory reported by top(1) has jumped
from around 2000M to more than 2500M. This wired is just weird. :) There
are two chrome browsers running, each with two tabs opened. The system has
nothing to do but display things. Seems to me like some leak related to
graphics subsystem. Stay tuned, I'll collect more numbers and report back.

--
						Daniel