open ptg file?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Tue May 23 06:22:01 PDT 2017

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 9:17 PM, Predrag Punosevac
<punosevac72 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Why don't you ask your Pearson's sales rep or their technical support?
>> > You might also want to have a computer running supported OS handy as I
>> > am quite sure, based on my dealings with them, that nobody in that
>> > publishing company have ever heard of DragonFly BSD.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Predrag
>> >
>> The folks will kindly ask me to use windblows and that they cannot help me
>> because I am in uncharted territory :(  Linux OS supports the app, but most
>> have systemd, and I can use that, but as a last resort.  I would like to
>> get it working on DflyBSD as well!
>>
>> I use another link to open the gradebook, it is a *.jnlp file opens java
>> web start with icedtea-web plugin, it works on Freebsd, but I would like to
>> also use Dragonfly to open gradebook app, but it simply does not work.  I
>> know java works, but web plugin icedtea-web does not.  I get a
>> plugin-container.core file in ~/ .  I know that firefox does not open java
>> apps anymore, i use firefox-esr which still does.  Any pointers or other
>> advice is appreciated
>>
>> Best Regards,
>
> The DragonFly userbase is miniscule so I would be very surprised to find
> out that anybody except you and I know what we are talking about right
> now. You could be very well right and Person gradebook could be very
> well something as simple as *.jnlp file in some kind wrapper. You have
> two options. To figure out on your own and see if it is possible to open
> it using generic tools or to keep your gradebook in some friendlier
> format like .csv for example. While my teaching days are now behind me I
> used to have very high teaching load for a University professor. I had
> bunch of AWK scripts for processing gradebooks.
>
> http://predrag.freeshell.org/teaching/awk.html
>
> As a guy with 18 years of university teaching experience my
> recommendation to deal with scores from online grading tools like
> Person, WebAssign, or even Blackboard or Desire2Learn gradebooks would
> be to export them into CSV files, process them with AWK, and then just
> upload CSV files wherever they are needed.
>
> Cheers,
> Predrag
>

>> Antonio

Dear Predrag,

Thank you for your valuable input.  These tools like awk/sed/etc. are
great.   I use awk to keep a running table for pts, goal differential,
etc for our soccer team at school.  I can use it in case I teach
summer school, but for the gradebook it is online and I have to
forcibly use the tool that they provide :(  I will try later and see
if I can troubleshoot the problem with the java containers or
wrappers?

Best Regards,

Antonio