Ravenports: How to Get Started?

Aaron LI aaronly.me at outlook.com
Tue May 16 06:16:59 PDT 2017

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 23:23, John Marino
<dragonflybsd at marino.st> wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
> I don't want this to be considered some kind of release
> announcement,
> but I have arranged for DragonFly-CURRENT users that are very
> curious to
> install a functional Ravenports system.  This is for preview and
> evaluation (for feedback) purposes.  Ravenadm is still a work in
> progress, and the port count is still small[1].
>
> I've added a Quickstart guide for DF users here:
> https://github.com/jrmarino/Ravenports/wiki/quickstart-df
>
> People that follow that procedure should immediately read:
> https://github.com/jrmarino/Ravenports/wiki/standard-commands
>
> Familarity with Synth helps, but there are some differences.
> It's intended to be intuitive.
>
> Right now, unless you create a repository, built packages are
> installed
> directly with "pkg add" command.  Later ravenadm will have a
> wrapper for
> that so that creating repositories are optional.
>
> To iterate, this is just a courtesy preview.  I'm still working
> on a lot
> of things.  Those interested in port development may wish to
> read the
> porters guide.[2].  (A 90% port converter is possible but
> doesn't exist
> yet).

Hi John,

Sorry for my late reply.  I'm busying with my works...

Thank you for the quick guide, and the great work on Ravenports!
I have
already tried Ravenports & ravenadm a bit, and built several
packages.
I will keep testing it and report back on the GitHub.

Cheers,
--
Aly