Ravenports: How to Get Started?

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Fri May 12 16:23:26 PDT 2017

On 5/11/2017 09:22, Aaron LI wrote:
> Hi John Marino, and DFlyers,
>
> I knew Ravenports [0] sometime ago, and noticed that it just did a
> initial release.
>
> Recently I had problems with the D/Ports framework w.r.t. multiple
> Python versions (3.x vs. 2.7).  Also suggested by John, I decided
> to try Ravenports a bit.
>
> However, after cloned the Ravenports repo down, I just got lost...
> Ravenports currently has ~170 ports, but I have no idea how to
> build and install one of them.  There is no obvious entry-Makefile
> to begin with, and there is no docs for users at the moment...
>
> Also, I knew there is a administration tool for Ravenports, called
> ravenadm [1].
> But there doesn't provide any further information.
>
> So, how to get started with Ravenports?  Thanks very much!
>

> [0] Ravenports : https://github.com/jrmarino/Ravenports
> [1] ravenadm : https://github.com/jrmarino/ravenadm

Hi Aaron,
I don't want this to be considered some kind of release announcement,
but I have arranged for DragonFly-CURRENT users that are very curious to
install a functional Ravenports system.  This is for preview and
evaluation (for feedback) purposes.  Ravenadm is still a work in
progress, and the port count is still small[1].

I've added a Quickstart guide for DF users here:
https://github.com/jrmarino/Ravenports/wiki/quickstart-df

People that follow that procedure should immediately read:
https://github.com/jrmarino/Ravenports/wiki/standard-commands

Familarity with Synth helps, but there are some differences.
It's intended to be intuitive.

Right now, unless you create a repository, built packages are installed
directly with "pkg add" command.  Later ravenadm will have a wrapper for
that so that creating repositories are optional.

To iterate, this is just a courtesy preview.  I'm still working on a lot
of things.  Those interested in port development may wish to read the
porters guide.[2].  (A 90% port converter is possible but doesn't exist
yet).

John

[1] You noted there are ~170 ports, but ravenports is not a 1:1
relationship.  Due to the use of variants, there are multiple complete
sets of packages per point.  With the use of subpackages, there are
multiple packages per variant.  Therefore when quantifying size of
Ravenports, one should either reference the number of variants, or the
total number or packages. currently:
        Total ports : 174
     Total variants : 232
     Total packages : 420