compat?x

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 18:52:24 PDT 2017

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:21:19 -0500, you wrote:

>The only port matching openjfx in a search is:
>http://www.freshports.org/java/openjfx8-devel/
>
>There's no requirement for compatx listed on that page.
>
>But it has a requirement on gradle:
>http://www.freshports.org/devel/gradle/
>
>this does depend on compat.  See the makefile:
># Gradle depends on native-platform which has a native component that
># requires libstdc++.so.6, because it was compiled with g++.
># See https://github.com/adammurdoch/native-platform/issues/8
>LIB_DEPENDS=	libstdc++.so.6:misc/compat9x
>
>So there you go.  Gradle provides a binary for freebsd.  openjfx is
>"skipped", it didn't fail.

So from taking a quick look I see:

1) the freebsd maintainer uses the binary provided by Gradle instead
of building from source

2) Gradle provide a generic binary download that is non system or OS
specific

3) everything in the binary download is either an image, jar file, or
script - nothing native

4) I suspect, given that this same binary runs on macOS (clang), Linux
(gcc) and Windows that there is no native stuff at all, but rather by
forcing the freebsd port to bring in the gcc C++ library they are
solving a problem occuring elsewhere (ie not with Gradle) that led to
the bug reports - I base this on the fact that the Gradle supplied
binary must be working fine on macOS.

5) thus there really should be no need for the compat dependency (and
not that it matters but given DragonFly is still using gcc/g++ the
library would be available anyway unless it needed a more up to date
verion).

So for the original person, there is no reason you can't somehow
install Gradle on DragonFly, either directly or by changing the port
info.