Unable to recover hammer volume.

jscottkasten at yahoo.com jscottkasten at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 06:27:15 PST 2017

----- Original Message -----
From: Tomohiro Kusumi <kusumi.tomohiro at gmail.com>

>hammer_btree_extract: CRC DATA @ 9000000a4a1f3280/128 FAILED

Yes, I have this, and "critical error" reading inodes.

>This means bunch of inodes in certain sectors nearby were somehow
>corrupted. These are often found only when those inodes are read the
>next time after corruption, thus doesn't necessary affect booting
>unless those inodes are read on booting.

Yes, this is a backup volume.

>Onboot recovery really has nothing to do with random broken sectors
>where undo fifo is not involved, nor is it a problem of filesystems in
>general including hammer1. Also note that "recovery" here doesn't mean
>hammer1 somehow magically fixes user data. It means the filesystem
>keeps consistency of itself.

I would be happy to just delete them somehow.  I can rsync any incomplete data easily enough.

>Having said that, hammer1 could give an option for users to at least
>do whatever they want to do on a broken fs. It currently forces
>readonly mount, kernel panic, etc.

And there in lies the problem.  The forced read only mount prevents me from doing anything to fix it...  :-(

I just did check the mount_hammer page to see if there were any useful options, but nothing unfortunately.

Thanks,
-S-