pf nat woes

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Sun Sep 4 22:35:33 PDT 2016

I have this problem too, its likely a bug in our PF implementation.  What I
do is have a little script which I start in the background (using the notty
command) from /etc/rc.local which checks whether the DHCP assignment has
changed on the interface and then reloads the PF rules if it has.

To reload the rules:

pfctl -d
pfctl -F all
pfctl -f /etc/pf.conf
pfctl -e

There are a few ways to detect whether the DHCP assignment has changed.
The easiest is for the script to save the output from the ifconfig command
filtering for 'inet'.  e.g.  something like this:

# set fubar1 to force initial reload
#
set fubar1 = "xx"

while (1)
    set fubar2 = `ifconfig igb0 | fgrep inet`
    if ( "$fubar1" != "$fubar2" ) then
        (reload PF rules here)
    endif
    sleep 10
    set fubar1 = "$fubar2"
end

Obviously not the best solution but it works as a monitor.

I think PF is supposed to pick-up changes automatically when an interface
is specified like that, but our PF doesn't appear to.

-Matt