tips for writing img to usb thumb drive

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Fri Jan 1 10:35:23 PST 2016

How did you get the OpenBSD snapshot installed - was it also from a USB stick?

This may already have been solved, but I remember people reporting
trouble on one set of USB ports and finding using different ports on
the machine worked better.  It might be because of they run to
separate chipsets, or one group is USB3 and one is not, I don't know -
but it's an easy potential fix to try.

An alternate method: I had a machine with no decent USB ports and an
unrecognizable CDROM (an old Sony laptop) that would not install.  I
booted a DragonFly CD on a separate machine (no install, just booted
the CD) and ran the network boot service, and then set the laptop to
boot from the network, and wired both machines together.  That worked
surprisingly well.  The only catch is if your Asus laptop supports
pxebooting, and that you have a spare machine to run a liveCD.