tips for writing img to usb thumb drive

jungle Boogie jungleboogie0 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 08:34:04 PST 2016

Hello All,

Happy new year!

(I hope this is not a dup post but I didn't see my original at
http://lists.dragonflybsd.org)

I'm trying to be a brand new user to DragonFly as your graphics
support is better than FreeBSD.

I'm trying to install DragonFly on my Asus X555LA[1] with either the
dfly release or a snapshot but the bios won't recognize the img or iso
with two different USB thumb drives. By recognize there's no option
for the attached USB thumb drive in the BIOS.

>From FreeBSD, I've tried this:
dd if=dfly-x86_64-4.4.1_REL.img of=/dev/da bs=1m
dd if=dfly-x86_64-4.4.1_REL.img of=/dev/da0 bs=1m conv=noerror,sync
dd if=DragonFly-x86_64-LATEST-ISO.iso of=/dev/da0 bs=1m conv=noerror,sync

>From ubuntu like OS, I've tried this:
dd if=DragonFly-x86_64-LATEST-ISO.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

Right now I have an OpenBSD snapshot installed so I don't think this
is an issue with the BIOS and some secure boot thing, which is
disabled. I have this openbsd snapshot installed:
http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/amd64/install59.fs

Does anyone see anything wrong with the dd commands I'm using and/or
have any guesses as what I can do differently to get the USB drives
recognized?

[1] https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/X555LA/

Thanks!

--