Xorg problem on Skylake

karu.pruun karu.pruun at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 14:02:36 PST 2016

Hello

I am having trouble getting Xorg working on a Skylake machine with
Intel integrated graphics (dmesg and Xorg log attached; a few errors
on drm at the end of dmesg too), on this snapshot:

---
DragonFly mars 4.5-DEVELOPMENT DragonFly 4.5-DEVELOPMENT #0: Wed Feb
10 11:57:30 UTC 2016
root at pkgbox64.dragonflybsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/X86_64_GENERIC
x86_64
---

I am not using xorg.conf and start Xorg with startx and .xinitrc that
starts a mate-session. Several issues:

- Xorg starts up and for some reason outputs to two devices, eDP1 and
HDMI2. I only have one monitor at HDMI2; it can do 1680x1050 but since
Xorg finds that eDP1 can have max resolution up to 1024x760 it forces
the latter resolution on my monitor. Can I force it have only HDMI2,
i.e. the one that actually has a monitor attached?

- But even at 1024x768 the screen starts corrupting when I move
windows, text becomes occasionally blurred etc. When I log out of mate
to return to text screen, I get a black screen. The system is not
frozen, all I can do is reboot.

- In the 1024x768 mode, when I try to change the resolution with xrandr:

# xrandr --output HDMI2 --auto

Xorg does change the mode to 1680x1050, i.e. the native resolution of
the monitor, but the screen is half-corrupted and unusable. When I
exit to text screen I succeed the first time; but the text mode is now
something like 128x48 or similar and in the top left quarter of the
display. When I start Xorg again I get a half-corrupted screen; upon
return to text mode it gives a blank or a frozen screen---all I can do
is reboot.

Is there anything one can do?

Thanks

Peeter