Future big ticket items in Dragonfly?

PeerCorps Trust Fund ipc at peercorpstrust.org
Sun Jun 28 07:44:37 PDT 2015

I am a bit late in getting back to the discussion on this, but I see it has been lively.

As far as committing resources for particular "itches", if there were some sort of a guide as to what it would potentially cost in developer time to add a feature, I would be interested in working to fundraise for smaller lower level features. I cannot commit code myself, but am definitely interested in helping in areas that might also benefit others.

A few "small ticket" items that have been of interest for me (and perhaps to others) are:

1) Installer is capable of handling special characters for use in passwords;

2) Installer and console are unicode-aware (like in OpenBSD) so that typing in names that have umlauts and accents isn't an issue;

3) It would be nice if the autoboot_delay="0" setting could be implemented in /boot/loader.conf. Earlier this year Matt Dillon commented the following pertaining to this: "If someone wants to submit code to allow the autoboot_delay="0" case, I'll accept it."

4) I look forward to the "multiple copies" feature under HAMMER2. But this is also a feature that could be useful for users of HAMMER1 systems until HAMMER2 is production ready. Is this difficult to do in HAMMER1?

That would be my shortlist. I think others have already commented on bringing in security features from OpenBSD, but I don't think any of those are "small ticket" items.

--
Michael