Future big ticket items in Dragonfly?

patric conant mirage.computing at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 14:10:24 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 3:50 PM, Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 6:59 PM, Tim Darby <t+dfbsd at timdarby.net> wrote:
> > HAMMER3, of course. :)
>
> What's HAMMER3 supposed to provide over HAMMER2?
>
> > What about other architectures? I'd love to see a ARM port.
>
> I'd vote for MIPS. Some very nice MIPS chips out there these days
> and the lowRISC plus that Capsicum-supporting-chip look
> very useful for network gear and general security enhancements.
> Octeon gear is also nice. Just saying ARM isn't the be all end
> all of alternative chips to support with most bang for the porting
> effort. But whoever does the work decides what gets done :-).

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but unless these suggestions come
with some resources, I think we have our answer on the project direction,
and as far as I can tell, Dragonfly is very open and welcoming to
developers with a personal itch to scratch, whatever direction that might
want to take the project, as long as it's not disruptive and inline with
overall goals, but as far as suggestions from the peanut gallery go, I'm
pretty sure that that and $7 US will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.