Discussion: Moving WPA_SUPPLICANT out of base and into dports

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Mon Oct 13 18:28:54 PDT 2014

This is ranging away from the original topic a bit, but: if we wanted to
really say "Let's use packages to offset work on the kernel/world", what
else could we pull out?  It's a bit dangerous with wpa_supplicant since you
can end up in a chicken-and-egg scenario where it couldn't be installed
without network, but it was needed for network.  However, there's plenty
other areas where this could apply but be less dangerous.  I really like
the idea of offloading the unessential work to someplace where upgrades are
already happening, like ports.

We're wandering out of BSD land ("The base system is complete") and into
Linuxville ("packages are necessary to do anything ever"), but that's OK
right now as a thought experiment.  Are there other software bits we'd want
to package, or packages we'd want to add to the default release install?