Using github for issues/collaboration

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Thu Feb 13 05:27:11 PST 2014

Hi,

What do the developers think about using github for collaboration on the
DragonFly project?
I don't want to step on anyone's foots, but personally I prefer it over
redmine.
For me it lowers the barrier of collaboration and communication
significantly.
For example GSoC projects could be suggested on the issues system and
people can comment on it
much more easily as it is right now possible in our Wiki.

I understand that having the issues system under our control has some
advantages. But
github is a very open system, so all data can be easily retrieved by an
API (to backup etc).

All I can say is that other open-source projects use it with great
success (for example mozilla/rust),
and I'd like to make it easier for users to submit bug reports or to
collaborate on ideas.

If there is general consensus that this is a good idea, I'd volunteer to
migrate the issues from redmine to
a test repository on github, so that people can see how it would look
like.  I think one functionality that we'd loose
is the ability to answer issues via the bugs at dragonfly mailing list. But
replying to an issue sent via github would
of course work.

Regards,

   Michael