pkgsrc frozen, next release will officially be dports only

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Thu Oct 10 02:40:01 PDT 2013

On 10/9/2013 22:43, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     As of the next release we will be officially moving to dports.
>     It's already the default on master and will become the only
>     option on the next release.
>
>     Our copy of the pkgsrc repo is now frozen.  Well, actually it kinda
>     froze itself, I've given up trying to keep it in sync after spending
>     many man-hours wrestling with mis-syncs.  In anycase, we're not
>     updating it any more nor are we doing pkgsrc bulk builds any more.

I think it would be swell (tip hat to Superman '78) to keep DragonFly
well supported by pkgsrc.  I believe that the recent changes in head
will break many packages, many of which are probably common
dependencies.  The main change that I'm concerned about is the iconv
prototype from (char*) to (const char*) on one of the arguments.
Unfortunately, I no longer have the time work on pkgsrc.

I will be happy to advise anyone who wants to step up to keep pkgsrc
maintained on DragonFly.  If the results are good, we could petition
these volunteers to get commit access for pkgsrc from NetBSD.

On a related note, if somebody is interested in becoming a dports
maintainer / committer, I am also the person to see.  We need to spread
the expertise around as right now I represent a critical path. So I'm
looking for volunteers to help with both dports and pkgsrc, with a
preference for the former as that is our official package collection now.

John