[HEADS UP] TSC cputimer is added

Sepherosa Ziehau sepherosa at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 19:02:36 PDT 2013

Hi all,

For master users, TSC cputimer is added and enabled on x86_64 if MP
synchronized TSC is detected.  If you have noticed any problems,
please let me know, and you could put following tunables in
/boot/loader.conf:
hw.tsc_cputimer_enable="0"
to disable TSC cputimer.

sysctl kern.cputimer
will tell you whether TSC cputimer is being used or not.

Patch for TSC cputimer for i386 is at here:
http://220.248.121.44/tsc_cputimer_i386.diff

If you are running i386 on relative newer CPUs (e.g. sandy-bridge, or
even nehalem), please give the above patch a try.

For folks interested in vkernel, we now could implement TSC cputimer
for vkernel to save the cost of sysctl.

Best Regards,
sephe

--