Dummynet + PF + vkernel

Raimundo Santos raitech at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 07:19:07 PDT 2013

Hi Antonio!

Well, there is not much to miss ;) - it is an ISP which uses wireless to
distribute internet, which in turns do not allow us to control the
bandwidth limit over the medium in a trusted way. Therefore, we need to
limit this traffic in some way, and the actual way is with linux(iptables +
tc), but it is hard to maintain - and almost everything is manualy
controled 0_o (I am new at this job)

A really liked the PF syntax, it is clean and easy to read - even more
within the match keyword that is new in OpenBSD >= 4.7. But the queuing
methods implemented in PF do not let to share the bandwitdh in an
overbooking fashion, which is crucial to an ISP. The only way is to divide
the queues to share bandwidth in a manner that do not surpass the total.

By now, I am putting my chips in FreeBSD ipfw integration with ALTQ, in a
way that the packets are limited by pipe and queued with HFSC in ALTQ. But
I really dislike the syntax of ipfw, it reminds me of iptables.

Cheers!