Filesystems

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Sat Apr 23 10:42:27 PDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 7:46 AM, David Crosswell
<david.crosswell2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you ever been accused of being a drama queen before this?

Hey, it's the Internet.  People get defensive easily.

What David was asking originally - is ZFS going to be ported/in the
process of porting to DragonFly - is a normal question, and one people
have asked before.  It wouldn't be easy to port, but it would be nice.

Hammer is much less resource-intensive than ZFS, but ZFS has some
really nice management commands.  I would be happy to see both on
DragonFly, or to at least take an example from ZFS's expressive
commands for management for handling Hammer to meet those same needs.

Hammer has some wonderful features, and we have a good open source
filesystem that compares well to something produced by one of the
world's larger Unix vendors.  Rather than spending time complaining
about someone's perfectly valid desire for ZFS, we should be looking
at how we can make Hammer better.  Antonio Huete has been working on a
libhammer library to bring out some of the Hammer functions, which
would make those richer management tools easier to put together.
(nudge, nudge, tuxillo)