Why did you choose DragonFly?

Robert Clark robert_clark at mac.com
Wed Sep 22 18:56:56 PDT 2010

I enjoyed working with pre Sys-V SunOS. I blame taking the C compiler
out of the distro, the giving in to peer pressure to move to Sys-V,
and the decade lost in the pipe dream of replacing Windows with
platform-independent Java for the turning of Sun Microsystems into an
overpriced chair for Larry.

FreeBSD had a similar syntax to SunOS, and 2.0.5R included a driver
for my Adaptec 2940, where Slackware did not. (Downloading 240k chunks
of OS to 1.2MB floppies, over 56k frame relay?)

FreeBSD-Questions was a great place to learn. (ftp.cdrom.com was
impressive)

Around the time progress on soft updates began to slow, it became
clear (to me at least) not much would happen with getting FreeBSD out
from under the big giant lock. Watching various scheduler or other
improvements get trampled by NIH, made it clear the bureaucracy was
moribund, and it was time for a change.

The Walnut Creek / Wind River / BSDi crap did nothing to create good
feelings either.

Matt's mythical connection with Dice, Backplane, and the fact that
he's beholding to no one, all help to put the OS in a category by
itself. I really don't know of any other principal architect/developer
who is as active, responsive, technically progressive, or nice to chat
with as Matt.

Variant symlinks <smile>. A filesystem with richer semantics than UFS?
<grin>

Good stuff.

Back to lurking,
[RC]