Memory usage increased

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Thu May 6 02:00:35 PDT 2010

	Hi,

	I'm running v2.7.2.3.g01603-DEVELOPMENT on a box which I've just
upgraded from an AMD64 3200+ single core with 1.5GB of RAM to a Phenom II
955 quad core with 4GB of RAM. The usage pattern hasn't changed. Prior to
the upgrade the box was using around 250 megs of swap and apparently needed
it because it would be swapping in and out. After the upgrade (and
modifying the kernel for SMP support and adjusting the ethernet and audio
devices) the box is showing around 1.5GB active, 1GB inactive and about
600MB between wired, cache and buf. The active and inactive alone would
have been enough to run me out of swap on the old box.

	How can I find out what is using all the memory, and whether or not
anything is astray ?

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun