dumpon

Pierre Abbat phma at phma.optus.nu
Fri Feb 5 19:46:46 PST 2010

On Friday 05 February 2010 22:23:24 Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Hmm.  Is the dump partition big enough to hold all of main memory?

According to top:
Memory: 104M Active, 240M Inact, 109M Wired, 41M Cache, 43M Buf, 1112K Free
Swap: 2048M Total, 23M Used, 2024M Free, 1% Inuse

>     Another possibility is kernel vs world mismatch.  The dumpon and
>     savecore utilities.

I made them both together.

>     There are two stages to the dump.  The first is setting the dump device
>     and panicing the kernel.  The console should show the dump being
> written out (it usually takes a few seconds).  Did you see that?

No. Do I have to write the dump explicitly? See
http://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issue1559. I don't know whether the dump device
is set by that point.

>     The second is savecore copies the dump to /var/crash after the
>     machine reboots.  Sometimes savecore is problems finding the dump
>     device if it isn't on the swap device, which can be worked around
>     by specifying the dump device as an additional parameter.  e.g.
>     'savecore /var/crash /dev/da0s1b'.

IIRR savecore says "no dumps found".

Pierre

--
Don't buy a French car in Holland. It may be a citroen.