Various laptop questions

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Sep 10 19:11:21 PDT 2009

On Wed, September 9, 2009 6:18 pm, Niklas Rosencrantz wrote:
> Dear guys,
> No blocker this time distinct from last solvable, just aiming to
> functionalize as many dfly configs doable. 2 laptop setups work well
> with dell 830 and cpx laptops. Technically what I want to achieve is
> python config, X setup on d830 where dvdliveboot can run X but not
> boot from harddrive, boot config to always choose alt 2 (no ACPI)
> Latest info how to get hw info was very useful. Now all basic
> functions are very well with some config, still some minor alternative
> configs fail eg via a switch (powerconnect 2716) one laptop's bge0
> connection, which connects bypassing the switch, won't get on while
> laptop2 with dc0 does.

There's a sysctl to set that will always disable ACPI - hw.acpi_disabled
or something similar.  However, that's hard to set if you are booting from
CD.  Or are you describing a current problem?  I'm having a hard time
telling if you're asking a question or making a statement.

> And less technical, more licence question whether I may and am
> encouraged to spread DragonFly via a thing such as bittorrent. If
> "yes" any recommendations?

We used bittorrent on previous releases; I don't think there's any active
right now, but it certainly can't hurt.