bsd broadcom netxtreme 57xx compatibility

Chris Turner c.turner at 199technologies.org
Tue Sep 8 20:46:57 PDT 2009

Niklas Rosencrantz wrote:
> and this computer, 2nd in a small network where ifconfig outputs
> bge0: flags=....<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> options=1b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING>
> ether [ip6 address]
> media:Ethernet autoselect (100baseT <full-duplex>)
> status:active
>
> After /sbin/dhclient bge0 it gets no link...sleeping and active turns
> to status: no carrier

I had some similar problems with a now-defunct laptop with a bge(4) -
(acer F1000) - IIRC, I had to ifconfig it to '0.0.0.0 up' before
dhclient would work - something to do with the link detection not
working properly if an address wasn't assigned..

e.g:

# ifconfig bge0 0.0.0.0 up
# dhclient bge0
would work..

you might try this, and if it still doesn't work, verify the
card is okay via a manually assigned address..
my apologies for not submitting a bug at the time :)

Thanks,

- Chris