Crash in 2.2.2

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu May 14 13:13:33 PDT 2009

:
:I have a machine that is a pf firewall, dns, ntp, and dhcp server
:(nothing else running), which was running 2.0.  Last week, I did a
:fresh install of 2.2.2 on it.  Yesterday, it crashed to the debugger
:prompt with an uptime of approximately 4 days.  Unfortunately, the
:person who rebooted it didn't note the error message on the screen.  I
:never had a crash under 2.0.  I realize this report is pretty useless.
: If the machine does this again, what should I do at the debug prompt
:to collect more info?
:
:Tim

    The best thing to do is to is to set the machine up to generate
    a kernel dump and automatically reboot.

    options	DDB
    options	DDB_UNATTENDED

    In /etc/rc.conf, set the dump device to point to your swap partition
    (make sure it is the swap partition).  e.g.:

	dumpdev="/dev/da0s1b"

    The swap partition must be at least as large as main memory.

					<dillon at backplane.com>