Consequences of major libc changes

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Apr 14 09:37:38 PDT 2009

:Hasso Tepper wrote:
:> * There is major problem with DragonFly that too many packages need
:>   patching to include unistd.h - especially stuff using C++, but C
:>   packages as well. This might be right thing to do, but I still would
:>   like to avoid it. Any ideas?
:
:As two persons already asked, I didn't explain clearly enough ... ;).
:
:The problem is that there is too many packages with common problem (for
:DragonFly) - they don't include unistd.h, but compile regardless of that
:on Linux, NetBSD and FreeBSD, seems. Many of such packages are C++. Maybe
:there is something wrong with our compiler? Examples of such packages are
:ham/fldigi, x11/nucleo and editors/notecase.
:
:--
:Hasso Tepper

    I am all for adding additional #includes in our headers for making these
    packages build painlessly.  My only requirement is that it be documented
    in comments next to the extra #include's so we know why they are there.

					<dillon at backplane.com>