DragonFly crash over Vaio NR21Z

dalwepy at sbcglobal.net dalwepy at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 17 09:12:17 PDT 2008

-----------------
(meta)
new to the list, new to DragonFlyBSD.
This is a long post.  Kept it on Users (where it started), and because
I'm hoping others here might be able to tell us whether or not their
systems use the same Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host
Controller I have in my system (vendor=104c, dev=803a), and if they are
also having issues with it.
-----------------

Hello, all,
in reference to [[
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/users/2008-04/msg00029.html ]]

I too have a new VAIO notebook (NR285E/S), and it is hitting the
non-maskable, type 19 trap on booting DragonFlyBSD (12.2).  (Though my
last message is "Stopped at  fwphy_rddata+0x96:    testw %bx%bx")

Searching the net,
. .. this thread is a hit on the VAIO NR notebook side of the error
. .. and the firewire thread from November 2004 on the kernel list
(between Matt & Gabor MICSKO) hits the details.
	[[
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/kernel/2004-11/msg00037.html
]]

What makes me point to the 2004 thread and say "aha" is (1) the
location in the boot sequence  (during fwohci0), and (2) the vendor
(both are vendor 104c ... different devices, though)

dark0s-Optik,  ... is this the same/similar for your machine ?

BOOT SCREEN
===========
( forgive variations in whitespace/punctuation: I'm transcribing the
screen )
	[ ... snip: everything up to FireWire ... ]
	fwohci0: vendor=104c, dev=803a
	fwohci0:  <3194 Open Host Controller Interface> mem 0xfc200000 -
0xfc203fff , 0xfc206000 - 0xfc2067ff  irq 10 at device 3.1 on pci8
	fwohci0: OHCI version 1.10 (ROM=1)
	fwohci0: No. of Isochronus channel is 4
	fwohci0: EUI64 08:00:46:03:02:83:de:3e
	NMI ISA a1, EISA ff
	RAM parity error, likely hardware failure

	Fatal trap 19: non-maskable interrupt trap while in kernel mode
	instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc020e7be
	stack pointer 		= 0x10:0xc07789f8
	frame pointer		= 0x10:0xc0778a14
	code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
						= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
	processor eflags		= interupt enabled, IOPL = 0
	current process		= 0 (swapper)

	kernel: type 19 trap, code=0
	Stopped at        fwphy_rddata+0x96:       testw   %bx, %bx

In the past week I've downloaded the latest FreeBSD (7.0), OpenSolaris
(NV b87), DragonFlyBSD (12.2), and Ubuntu (8.04), and have tried them
all in the VAIO.   Also, thrown in are my August 2007 CDs for Slackware
12.0 , and the OEM install of Vista that came pre-installed on the
machine.

DragonFly is the only one with issues on the VAIO.
(and the CD burn should be good, because DragonFly loads fine on my old
Dell Latitude CP)

I ran the memory-tester that comes on the Ubuntu CD ... but I'm
doubting that will test any on-chip memory  (if the 2004 discussion has
anything to do with this)

SPECS
=====
VAIO  VGN-NR285E/S
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5450 (1663 MHz)
--------------------
FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE
1394 Host Controller [104c:803a]
--------------------
VAIO BIOS is such that I cannot disable individual devices.

Googling for the device
=======================
Looking around, it appears this TI chip is also in the following:
	Toshiba A105-S4004
	Toshiba p205d-s8804
	Acer TravelMate 3020 (3022WTMi)

I see no hits on the Toshiba, DragonFly, and that device-number.
The one hit I see on the Acer is from 2006, ... and is Gabor again.
(different machine from before)
	[[
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/kernel/2006-03/msg00044.html
]]
There, the kernel gets past fwohci0, but has the following error
		fwohci0: Invalid irq 255
		fwohci0: Please switch PNP-OS to 'No' in BIOS
so ... while it's not failing (as it seems to be doing on the VAIO),
it's not like it exactly "works" on the Acer, either.

Any thoughts, or similar experiences?

--David

From: 	Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 	Fri, 11 Apr 2008 09:18:18 -0700 (PDT)
   I don't think there's anything we can do, the machine took a NMI
fault
   in the middle of a normal instruction.  There might be some BIOS
settings
   you can play with but it looks like a real ram fault to me.  I
searched
   around google for a bit but didn't see anything specific.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I 'd like to install DragonFly 1.12.1 on my Sony Vaio NR21Z, but
whilst DragonFly load, it appears:
RAM parity error, likely hardware failure

Fatal trap 19: non-maskable interrupt trap while in kernel mode
instruction pointer  = 0x8:0xc04a7750
stack pointer         = 0x10:0xc07789e4
frame pointer         = 0x10:0xc07789ec
code segment       = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                            = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags    = interrupt enabled, IOPL = 0
current process     = 0 (swapper)
kernel: type 19 trap, code=0
Stopped at        DODELAY+0x1:       movl   %esp,ebp
db>
What is the problem, DragonFly don't support my notebook

--
only the paranoid will survive