[GSoC] the AMD64 port
Simon 'corecode' Schubert
corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Tue Mar 18 14:04:42 PDT 2008
Jordan Gordeev wrote:
1. Does porting require messing with the source code of gcc/binutils/gdb?
maybe. the basic infrastructure is in place however and also seems to be
able to produce amd64 binaries of some sort.
2. Do I need to have an AMD64 machine with more than 4 GB RAM to be
able to fully test my work?
I don't think so.
3. Would I be required to get 32-bit binaries working on 64-bit kernels
or would being able to run 64-bit binaries suffice?
32bit binaries would be optional, but of course the design shouldn't
4. Is SMP part of the equation?
I'd say yes, but I don't think there is so much work to do.
5. In general, is there a fixed list of things that should be done, or
am I free to choose based on my interests/abilitity?
"Make it work" definitely is on the list of things to be done. Apart from
that you might be able to choose. I think the list of deliverables would
have to be pinned down by you and your mentor.
Serve - BSD +++ RENT this banner advert +++ ASCII Ribbon /"\
Work - Mac +++ space for low â¬â¬â¬ NOW!1 +++ Campaign \ /
Party Enjoy Relax | http://dragonflybsd.org Against HTML \
Dude 2c 2 the max ! http://golden-apple.biz Mail + News / \
More information about the Users