My personal pkgsrc FAQ

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Wed Dec 17 00:36:58 PST 2008

Justin C. Sherrill schrieb:
On Tue, December 16, 2008 9:21 am, Hasso Tepper wrote:

There have been several persons jumped in in the past with "hey, I'll do
that bulk stuff", but disappearing after that. What we need is person
taking care of _regular_ bulk builds in long term so that security fixes
can be applied by users in timely manner etc. So, that users can rely on
these packages.
I'm thinking you mean me, or partly me, as a flake - I did have bulk
builds on pkgbox, but they've not been regular, for a variety of reasons.
No I don't think Hasso means you, but rather certain other guys who said
they want to bulk build, then got access to pkgbox, but not much showed
up so far. :)

One of the puzzles is how we can create a set of packages right at release
time.  pkgbox.dragonflybsd.org is a good place to build, but Matt's
bandwidth is not high enough to move the packages out to mirrors
efficiently, and it does take a week to produce the packages on that new
release.
Please don't forget the LiveDVD which should be rebuildable by the user
using the "official" set of packages without having to resort to
home-rolled packages or packages from some non-standard location.

To ensure this, we definitely need the packages earlier than "right at
release time".

I'd like to have a better mechanism for remote binary package
installation.  pkg_radd works surprisingly well for such a simple script,
but I'd like something more polished.  Something that integrates building
from source when bianry packages aren't available would be good; the
BINPKG_SITES variable had some potential.
Another thought I had for some time: Pkg_radd uses the
http://pkgbox.dragonflybsd.org/All redirection if I remember correctly.
Can't we have a version number in the /All redirection mechanism so that
we can have different pkg_radd's (HEAD, release, etc.) use different
sets of packages?

Regards,
Sascha
--