Ruby on Rails and pkgsrc

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sun Mar 19 21:18:04 PST 2006

At 7:27 AM -0800 3/18/06, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
 > > Im planning to learn Ruby, and I want to setup Apache2,
 > > MySQL and Ruby on Rails, but I cannot find a rails port
 > > in pkgsrc. Is there one actually?

 Just install misc/rubygems (ruby's own component management
 infrastructure) from pkgsrc and then do a "gem install rails".
Does this provide a way to uninstall? And does this provide
a way to  manage the installed files (such as pkg_info,
pkg_delete)?
Anyone interested in packaging this?
The gems package-management system provides features that other
OS-based package-management systems do not provide.  That's
mainly because developers in the ruby community expect to use
gems to distribute their package.  Thus, the *original* developer
will create and support the gem for their package, instead of
having some "ports-team developer" constantly chasing after
a package, and re-working the build environment so that package
will build on the target OS.  OS-specific ports teams are
*constantly* playing catch-up with whatever the original
developers are releasing.
Among other things that gems provides is a way to handle
multiple versions of the same package installed at the
same time.  Ruby scripts can specify which versions of
some package that they will work with, and the same OS
can easily support different scripts which "must have"
incompatible versions of a given gem.
--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at xxxxxxxxxxx