Ruby on Rails and pkgsrc

Csaba Henk csaba.henk at creo.hu
Sat Mar 18 08:09:52 PST 2006

On 2006-03-18, Jeremy C. Reed <reed at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Just install misc/rubygems (ruby's own component management
>> infrastructure) from pkgsrc and then do a "gem install rails".
>
> Does this provide a way to uninstall? And does this provide a way to
> manage the installed files (such as pkg_info, pkg_delete)?

Yes, gems intend to be a full fledged package management system, see
"gem help commands" for a quick summary.

> Anyone interested in packaging this?

FYI, there is the FreeBSD way: you can find the port "rubygem-rails" (and
some other rubygem-* ports), which integrates the gem installation into the
port installation / package database. While there are benefits of this
approach, this requires separate package maintainance for each rubygem-*
port, and I'm not sure that it's worth for the effort. (Given that files
won't go wild under gem control and that those ruby extensions on which
non-ruby stuff depend do/will have a dedicated port/package nevertheless.)

I'd say it would make sense to gather some experience about the
Dfly + pkgsrc + rubygems combo before looking for alternatives :) (I
haven't tried this myself, so I can't say it will work like a charm.)

Regards,
Csaba