jdk under 1.4?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Jul 9 12:33:02 PDT 2006

:I finally got around to upgrading from 1.2 to 1.4 (via reinstall and copying
:some data around).  Most everything went smoothly, but I am struggling a little
:with one app which uses java.  Under 1.2 I had jdk-1.4.2p6_4 installed from
:ports, and it worked fine.  I can't find anything under pkgsrc which will
:build anything similar.  I tried copying the /usr/local/jdk* tree and some
:shared libraries it used (including a bunch of X11 libs) to /usr/local/lib just
:to see if it worked - and it did, right up to the point where it tries to
:open the display; then I get:
:
:Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using 'localhost:16.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
:
:That's over an ssh connection; other X clients work fine from that same
:session.  I assume this is a library incompatibility.
:
:What's the best way to go about this?  I'm willing to use something under
:linux emulation if that's the expedient way to get something up and working.
:
:Suggestions welcome.  Thanks.
:
:--
:
:   Jon Hamilton
:   hamilton at xxxxxxxxx

    Try using ssh -Y.  A lot of X applications require it operate over ssh/xdm.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>