jdk under 1.4?

Jon Hamilton hamilton at pobox.com
Sun Jul 9 12:25:52 PDT 2006

I finally got around to upgrading from 1.2 to 1.4 (via reinstall and copying
some data around).  Most everything went smoothly, but I am struggling a little
with one app which uses java.  Under 1.2 I had jdk-1.4.2p6_4 installed from
ports, and it worked fine.  I can't find anything under pkgsrc which will
build anything similar.  I tried copying the /usr/local/jdk* tree and some
shared libraries it used (including a bunch of X11 libs) to /usr/local/lib just
to see if it worked - and it did, right up to the point where it tries to
open the display; then I get:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using 'localhost:16.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.

That's over an ssh connection; other X clients work fine from that same
session.  I assume this is a library incompatibility.

What's the best way to go about this?  I'm willing to use something under
linux emulation if that's the expedient way to get something up and working.

Suggestions welcome.  Thanks.

--

   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton at xxxxxxxxx