parted integration

David Cuthbert dacut at kanga.org
Tue Aug 22 01:01:20 PDT 2006

Markus Hitter wrote:
Am 22.08.2006 um 08:39 schrieb David Cuthbert:
I don't get it.  Why do people insist on using autoconf to adapt to an
OS' quirks when a package only supports one OS?
Maybe I'm missing something, but "Linux" isn't "one OS"
No, but I've yet to see a distro which doesn't use glibc and gcc.  In
that manner, it's "one OS."

and autoconf's
primary goal is to detect all the quirks of an OS by it's self.
If that's the case, it should never run "uname" or complain that the OS
isn't in the set (X, Y, Z).  It's ok to say that features X, Y, Z
weren't detected, though.

In reality, autoconf's is primarily used to generate Makefiles for
package maintainers who are {unwilling, unable, too lazy} to write a
Makefile.  Not that this in itself is a bad thing (maintaining Makefiles
is difficult and thankless), but autoconf is a bad tool for this job.