Version numbering for release DECISION!

Andre Nathan andre at digirati.com.br
Mon Mar 28 09:45:08 PST 2005

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Maybe instead of having a -STABLE we should have a sub-version which
>     we bump automatically with a script on a day-by-day basis if any commits
>     had been maded into the branch.
[...]
>     [and we get rid of STABLE entirely]

Funny, I really like the "STABLE" name. Maybe that's because I come from
OpenBSD, so I automatically associate it with release+fixes. I think
the idea of calling it RELEASE, with or without sub-versions would be
confusing (since it's not a new release, just bug fixes were added).

"PRODUCTION" is a good name too, IMHO, although I expect production
machines to be STABLE ;-)

Andre