Considering AMD64 laptop

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Jan 13 16:20:52 PST 2005

:I had an eMachines 6805, AMD64, for a week in March 2003.  Everything worked
:fine that I tried in FreeBSD and is on the Freebsd compatiblity list.  I
:say only a
:week because in that period I returned 3 for having bad pixels.  The
:last one I took
:home all we did was put a DVD in to watch movies and look for bad
:pixels.  Ten
:minutes into the movie that one got a spot about 5/15" in diameter like
:the others.
:Store said this was unusual, but a salesman told me that eMachines must
:have got
:a bad batch of screens because they had a lot of returns in the last few
:weeks.
:Ended up with an HP tower with an AMD64 and DragonFlyBSD runs fine on it.

    What model HP ?

    My eMachines laptop (which only supported DragonFly poorly)
    was the 6809.

:I got a Gateway laptop a week ago with an AMD64.  Everything that I have
:tried
:from the live cd appears to work, just haven't had the time to install
:df yet.
:ifconfig shows both network cards so I hope I can setup a home network
:with the
:wireless card.  Never have done any networking so I hope I can get a
:home network
:set up.

    The main things to try are:

    * network
    * USB
    * firewire (if it has it)

:A few weeks ago I got hold of a Compaq laptop that I could not get to
:work with df,
:so I went looking for a laptop and while looking I ask the salesman if I
:could try a
:live cd in a few laptops to see if it worked, explaining what would
:happen.  He and
:the other salesman said no, but one said let me ask the manager.  The
:manager ask
:will it make a sale and I said yes.  He said go ahead that he was
:familiar with live cd's
:so I bought the one with the AMD64.
:
:Bryan

    If you remember the model number sfor the Gateway and Compaq
    please post them so I can create an appropriate annotation
    in the document I'm building.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>